Monday, July 23, 2007

Prayer

Mother of All Beings, I implore you, hear my prayer.

I feel your tenderness.

Mother, I now understand I have let myself be devoured and I have devoured others and I have vomited out rot.

I feel your forgiveness.

Mother, I now understand that if I think someone has wronged me, I will become a mad junkyard dog ready to tear out the throat of another in your care.

I feel your compassion.

Mother, I now understand that if another has wronged me, and promised to make it right, I remain frightened and bitter until it’s made good, even though the other is also in your Care.

I feel your sorrow.

Mother, you who know above all others how I’ve neglected the Life you gifted me, the long years I’ve forgotten you, the despair I’ve breathed even in your presence,
yet you still recognize me and hold me tenderly in your heart.

I feel your tears mingle with mine and the tears of all beings, our tears that salt the seas and water the earth and fill the blood and breath of all beings in your Care.

Mama, I feel your infinite Love.

1 comment:

Alex said...

Ahhh.... "Life is art is prayer" I wrote so long ago. And have not remembered for awhile now. Your prayer draws me into prayer. While the good hard Mississippi rain falls. Blessed be.