Friday, November 9, 2007

Fall/Winter Food Garden

Into November & I've just realized it's high time to plant the winter veg..... fall/winter planting is new to me, being so focussed on the spring planting and fall harvest; but now the summer corn beds are ready, at least, and the cucumbers and squash- they're the only crops that aren't still bearing for us; tomatoes are going pretty strong, and the potatoes are big eggs lying on the ground where I haven't hilled em up enough; now I'm beginning to understand the process of covering them with higher & higher piles of straw- where I've done that, we can actually just thrust our hands into the piles and come out with potatoes! The herbs are still fine, too- thyme & sage, chamomile & feverfew being the heartiest now, with the basil limping along enough for more flavor to the tomatoes, and I imagine the lemon grass & shiso will make a mighty comeback in their season.
SO. Peas follow the corn, delivering nitrogen and nitrogen-fixing bacteria back into the corn-depleted soil. Plenty good compost to dig in, too. I'll keep the tomatoes going until they drop out on their own- they MIGHT turn out to be perennials in this climate- we didn't put in any hybrids, so they ought to stay true to their sweet red/purple/yellow natures if they make it... and if they do, they might be a good candidate for naturalizing. Imagine wild tomatoes hot from the vine!
I'm digging new beds up front for lettuce, spinach, onions & garlic (in with the roses to keep off fungus- I hope) and cabbage, broccoli, kohlrabi, beets, carrots, kale, collards and more potatoes and peas. There's better winter light in front, so they should flourish. If I get em all in in time, we'll have a dark leafy green Christmas with red & gold winter root crops.
I'm loving this ever-bearing cycle of food crops. No, it's not enough to keep our bellies full all by itself, even with the addition of plentiful eggs (until the daylight gets too short for their laying cycle)- but it sure is plenty to keep my spirit- and my hands- rooted in the Miracle.

No comments: