Saturday, January 12, 2008

Bicycling To Energy Independence

Check this out: we can use a stationary bike, attached to a generator or battery, to produce electricity. Yes, we can! I first heard about this on an NPR interview; found many references on the web.... for most of us, of course, it's take a whole lot of cycliing to produce the enrgy we need for running all the stuff.... stove, fridge, TV, music, computer... to say nothing of heat & light & coffeemakers & etc.... the truly exciting news to me is that it's POSSIBLE to do this without the big spending transition to sun power requires.
I haven't set this up yet. Still hooked in to PG&E. BUT even the thought of producing our own power through our own power has got my imagination- and daily practice- moving in a stronger direction. When I see the little useless lights on equipment- even when the equipment's turned off- I now unplug it, imagining "ohhhh boy; that light on all night is going to cost us quite a lot of pedaling...." The imagination of living with children, saying "Of COURSE you can watch TV, of COURSE you can play on the computer all you want- just pedal for the power!" has me laughing whenever I think of it; not so much laughter thinking of my own use, of course, but getting there- check out the links for more information on this exciting idea.... and there're a lot more to see with a simple search.
PS: sorry for the unusual font change.... can't seem to get it all the same size.

1 comment:

Alex said...

Reminds me of the Flintstones... I couldn't find the links to sites but found my way to a couple of places online through a Google search.