Friday, May 18, 2007

Naturalizing food and Medicine

One thing I realized about centering my efforts on my own back yard is that we really can't take it with us. Knowledge, yes..... infrastructure, NO. If we were thrown out of the house, or it burned down, or we were earthquaked out of here, it'd all be gone. Or useless if we were far enough from here to count. SO I've begun trying to naturalize food & medicine crops.... aloe vera, tobacco & poppies so far. I save the seeds or cuttings and throw em out where it looks like they can grow- public access places that don't get regularly poisoned off and benefit from rain and other water run-off, like the sides of canals, railroad passings, and parks. We'll see how it goes- too soon to see any results yet. I think of Johnny Appleseed, engineers spreading California poppies across the land, the wild flower people who plant the roadsides; if this works- or maybe if it doesn't!- I'll try fruit trees next.

No comments: